Anonymity when using the internet is a thing which can be taken for granted in today’s world. When a person surfs the web their computer is given a public IP address. This address can be used to determine much information about a computer which is linked to the internet.
Information such as country of origin, state, region and city can be determined from an IP not to mention it can be used to track things such as what sites you may have visited while surfing the web. As a user of the internet you may not want to have such information readily available for anyone in the world to see and for this reason you may want to hide your IP address.
You may ask, why would I want to hide my IP address while browsing the internet as I am not up to anything illegal. Many people associate hiding their IP address with hacking or other illicit online activities but the truth is there are a multitude of completely legitimate reasons why you may want to hide your IP.
• You may be connecting to the internet in a public area such as a library, restaurant, hotel or internet cafe and don’t want your surfing to be tracked by others.
• You may not want to take a chance on your private information being exposed so choose to surf anonymously.
• You may not want your surfing habits tracked by companies or online advertisers.
• You may go to a school or work at an employer or live in a country where web surfing is greatly restricted or content is highly filtered.
• You may want to access content that is available only to people in certain areas or countries.
• You just may not like the idea of possibly having your every move monitored and tracked.
As you can see there are many reasons why you would want to hide your IP that have nothing at all to do with illegal activity and are simply about protecting your privacy.